What is the Difference Between Used and Certified Pre-Owned?
Interested in learning more about the difference between CPO vs. used vehicles? The team at Acura Turnersville can help! While both are technically “used,” there are a few important distinctions between used and certified pre-owned models.
What to Know About Buying a Used Car
Used cars tend to have multiple previous owners and can vary in terms of model year and mileage. Because of this, they are typically priced at a lower cost than newer vehicles and certified pre-owned models. In fact, we also have an inventory of used cars under $10,000 for sale for even more savings! And because these vehicles aren’t new, you don’t have to worry about depreciation.
Though a used car with 100,000 miles or more may seem like a risk, the truth is that some vehicles, when cared for properly, can last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Even so, remember:
- Standard used vehicles are not required by the OEM to be inspected before being sold. Dealerships like Acura Turnersville can be counted on to still inspect the vehicle for safety and quality, but you should approach private sales with greater caution. Any privately sold used vehicle you’re considering should be inspected by a trusted technician and taken for a test drive before making an offer.
- Discuss any issues in terms of vehicle condition or performance that arise, to ensure the vehicle is fit for your needs and safe to drive. If you plan to purchase it despite any problems, make sure you factor the cost of repairs into your budget.
- Some cars and SUVs can last more than 200,000 miles with proper care and maintenance, so a high-mileage used car could well be a good option if you’re on a tight budget.
What to Know About Buying a CPO Car
CPO, or certified pre-owned vehicles, are used vehicles that have been thoroughly inspected by a factory-trained technician at the dealership. For this specific inspection, there is a stringent list of points laid out by the manufacturer. These models can only be considered part of the manufacturer’s certified pre-owned program if they pass the inspection. The requirements for the Acura CPO program are as follows:
- Model year is within five years of the current model year
- Generally less than 80,000 miles, sometimes up to 100,000 miles
- A multi-point inspection
- Offered with extended warranties and/or limited powertrain warranties
Certified used cars tend to be newer models with less mileage, which makes them more desirable than used models for some. Typically, these come at a higher price than used models as well, yet stay below the price points for new models. Also, if you’re interested in a like-new model with more updated features, you’ll want to consider the extra cost of the certified pre-owned model.
Shop for Pre-Owned Vehicles at Acura Turnersville
After learning about the differences between used and certified pre-owned models, you can choose your next model with confidence. We also offer pre-owned vehicle specials for additional savings options. Contact our team today to schedule a test drive in your favorite model or with any questions in the meantime.
More from Acura Turnersville
Excelling without ever compromising, the2021 Acura RDX combines the track-like agility and power of a sport-focused model with the indulgence and technology drivers have come to expect from the luxury crossover class. Better yet, it allows Cherry Hill drivers the freedom to personalize everything from exterior features to interior styling around their own unique needs and…
View InventoryContact Us A premium three-row SUV offering space to spare alongside state of the art technology, the 2022 Acura MDX is a model that stands out from the crowd even in the intensely competitive luxury crossover segment. Check out the 2022 Acura MDX interior and you’ll find everything from first-class seating materials to top-tier features…
Interested in learning more about the difference between CPO vs. used vehicles? The team at Acura Turnersville can help! While both are technically “used,” there are a few important distinctions between used and certified pre-owned models. Used Vehicle Inventory CPO Vehicle Inventory What to Know About Buying a Used Car Used cars tend to have multiple…